Customer-centric focused on helping customers get the most out of their experiences with a minimal amount of frustration. Strong verbal and written communication skills employed with empathy, a positive attitude and a sense of humor while working with a wide array of users and stakeholders. Comfortable working on multiple platforms (macOS, Windows, Linux). Highly adaptable problem solver. Quickly learns new software, hardware, systems, and processes.
Specialties: Software development life cycle – partial to Agile practices. Uncovering problems faced by customers and working with distributed development teams to solve them. End-user support and training, content creation and management, troubleshooting, defect documentation and tracking, photography. Old school blogger.
A proponent of empathy, kindness, inclusion, neurodiversity, and accessibility.
February 2015 – present
Senior Technical Support Engineer and Product Champion
The Siteimprove Intelligence Platform is SaaS that combines content, analytics, and personal support to help customers control their digital presence. I support our customers, employees, and partners by:
- Providing customer support via Zendesk tickets, community forums, social media posts, direct email, one-on-one calls, conference calls and screen sharing with customers and third-party vendors, in-person user groups and training sessions.
- Taking ownership of technical issues by determining scope and impact, and thoroughly outlining reproducible steps before escalating to development.
- Acting as a liaison between customers and internal teams to solve problems.
- Logging defects in JIRA. Following up on their status with product development while keeping customers updated about the progress of fixes and providing customers with workarounds, when possible.
- Assisting with implementation and deployment of more complex customer setups, including Single Sign-On integrations.
- Continually looking for ways to optimize our systems and processes to work more efficiently.
- Mentoring co-workers on cross-functional teams.
- Identifying the need for new articles or enhancements to existing documentation for internal and customer-facing Knowledge Bases.
- Providing recommendations and best practices as product updates are released and customer needs change.
- Documenting use cases to better understand how the software is currently being used and what customers would like to see in the future.
- Advocating on behalf of the end user in a Product Champion / Subject Matter Expert role by collaborating with Product Owners and Developers around future enhancements, releases, and Product Roadmaps.
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
January 2019 – present
Adjunct Instructor (part-time)
Clockwork Active Media Systems
March 2005 – February 2015
Jr Systems Administrator, Support Specialist, Front End Developer, QA Tester, Corporate Photographer
Daily responsibilities include:
- Technical support for internal and external users via email, instant messenger and phone. Troubleshooting, documenting and escalating issues with any and all software, hardware and systems as needed.
- Installing CMS and related product suite for customers on production and review servers and managing user permissions for each install.
- Cloning production CMS installs to development and test servers for internal users.
- Installing Trac projects and managing user permissions for each project.
- Writing detailed but easy to understand documentation on the corporate intranet, for internal users as well as content on the corporate web site for customers.
- Bash scripting to automate routine processes.
- Purchasing hardware and software and managing software licensing for internal users.
- Troubleshooting hardware problems and delivering hardware to The Foundation for repair when unable to resolve the issue.
- On call after hours. Assisting with troubleshooting and client messaging during incident management.
- Quality assurance testing and proofreading.
- Working with vendors: Qualys, GoogleApps, DigiCert, TuCows/OpenSRS
- User account management: setting up email accounts for employees and customers, Google Apps, LDAP/network access, etc. Disabling accounts when an employee left.
- New employee and end-user onboarding and training.
- Creating content for social media channels: Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, corporate blog and email newsletters to clients and staff
- Photography: employee headshots, on-site with clients, documenting employee volunteer work and other events
August 2000 – August 2003
Front End Web Developer
- Involved in the entire life cycle of a website, from planning to implementation and maintenance
- Carried out production work in Photoshop and Flash
- Built web sites in HTML & CSS
- Updated content for large scale websites
- Maintained files in version control software
Minnesota Life (now Securian)
St Paul, MN
1997 – 2000
First Level Tech Support
- Answered calls on a help desk from company’s employees, troubleshooting hardware and software problems in a Windows environment
- Responded to less urgent issues via email
- Logged all interactions in a ticketing software system
Second Level Tech Support
- Visited desks of employees whose hardware or software problems were not resolved after a call to the help desk
- Ordered hardware or software as needed
- Updated open tickets as necessary to document reproducible steps or progress toward resolution
- Email server administration
MN Department of Human Services
St Paul, MN
1994 – 1997
- Managed intranet and created web versions of health care provider manuals
- Was responsible for the layout and printing of health care provider manuals
- Acted as liaison between the department and IT / tech support; documented issues before escalation
- Provided audio/visual setup assistance for co-workers who presented information at seminars
West Publishing (now Thomson Reuters)
1992 – 1994
- Downloaded data from Bulletin Board Systems, proofread it against hard copy versions and marked up digital files in SGML (precursor to HTML) before uploading it to Westlaw
- Assisted co-workers with the transition from dumb terminals to Windows PCs
- Trained users in groups and in one on one sessions, as needed
SKILLS / TOOLS
- Help desk ticketing, bug tracking & CRM software
- Agile / Scrum philosophy
- Content Management Systems: WordPress, Pantheon, Ektron, etc.
- User account management
- Text editors: Sublime, vi, Coda, nano, pico, etc.
- LaunchDarkly for Feature Flag Management
- Google Search Appliance and Google Analytics
- Version control: Subversion, Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, Oracle SCM
- SSL certificate and domain management
- PCI Compliance scanning and reporting
- Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, and Google Apps
- Professional photography and image production (Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.)
Send me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org